I’m sharing my experiences during a 21-day food detox. If you’d like to start reading from Day 1, click here. Receive all of the remaining 21-Day Detox Challenge posts via email, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add you to the list.
Hummus and guacamole are two of my absolute favorite dips. So why not have them both? And, perfect during a detox, classic guac and hummus ingredients like avocados, garlic and lemons are all effective in cleansing the body.
- Avocados are packed full of antioxidants which detox the body by transporting out harmful toxins.
- Lemons taste amazing in so many things and they are full of vitamins and antioxidants which protect the liver and get rid of chemicals inside of the body.
- Garlic has antibiotic properties to help internally heal your body, and the naturally occurring sulphur helps to cleanse the body.
This simple recipe creates a smooth, creamy dip that’s lighter tasting than guacamole but has the same heartiness as hummus. It’s great with fresh vegetables or as a topping for salads instead of dressing.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 c fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 ripe avocado roughly chopped
- 3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon zest and juice
- 3-4 Tbl water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Fresh vegetables for serving
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil and water in a food processor.
- Process until coarsely chopped.
- With machine running, stream in the olive oil, add enough water to loosen it up.
- Process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper; try starting with 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt and add more to your liking.
- Serve with fresh-cut vegetables.
I’m in the detox homestretch here. Overall, I feel great, I’m six pounds down, and I’ve noticed my skin looks clear and healthy (I still regularly struggle with acne so this is a nice reprieve). The dark circles that normally live under my eyes have also diminished considerably. I have to say, that while I’ve enjoyed sharing through the blog these past few weeks, I’m tired, my family misses me, and I miss them, and my house needs some serious attention. I might need a break from blogging after this detox is over. Thanks for coming along on this journey!
Wins: Good food choices today.
Flubs: No exercise again today. It was gloomy and rainy most of the day so I kinda gave up.
I would appreciate your comments or questions below. (Commenting is easy—just enter your comment, your first name, and email for verification. Don’t worry, your email address is only used to verify you as a real person and we won’t add you to a list or send you spam.)