I’m sharing my experiences during a 21-day food detox. If you’d like to start reading from Day 1, click here. This is day 15.
Here’s a great go-to treat when you need something rich, tart, and flavorful. It contains healthy fats like avocado and coconut milk. This is something I know I’ll be craving year-round because it’s so good. It combines a few of my favorite flavors: coconut, lime, and ginger and it’s so thick and creamy that I eat it with a spoon and call it dessert!
TIP: Be sure to check your dates for any pits—when I made this the first time I ground up a pit in my blender…no good. The Medjool date is used to sweeten the smoothie—maple syrup or honey should work just as well though I haven’t tested it this way.
This smoothie is deliciously thick and rich. Almost like a pudding.
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado diced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger chopped (no need to peel it, really!)
- 1⁄2 to 1 fresh lime zest and juice
- 1⁄2 c coconut milk from the can (or, for a lighter smoothie, use cartoned coconut milk)
- 1⁄2 c cartoned almond milk or your favorite milk (so 1 cup of “milk” total)
- 1 Medjool date pitted (use 2 if you want it sweeter)
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut optional, if you want more coconut flavor
- 2 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in your blender or food processor and process until smooth. (Try starting with juice of half of the lime and then stir in more after blending if you want it more tart.)
- Pour into a serving glass and garnish with a slice of lime.
*Adapted from thehealthyfoodie.com
Wins: All good food choices today! Counting down…six more days.
Flubs: No exercise today. The kiddos were home and things were a bit chaotic. Will try for tomorrow…
I would appreciate your comments or questions below. (Commenting is easy—just enter your comment, your first name, and email for verification. Don’t worry, your email address is only used to verify you as a real person and we won’t add you to a list or send you spam.)